Saturday, August 13, 2011

Spicy Garam Masala Powder - Cook a pot of Curry Day 21 August 2011

Garam Masala Powder for Vegetarian Dishes
This spicemix requires slightly more ingredients than my previous post, and is recommended for Vegetarian Dishes. Oh yes, and if you happened to be preparing for the coming Cook a pot of Curry Day on the 21st of August, and you are trying to make a point, this is the process of curry cooking that gives out the smells :D Enjoy Roasting!

*Sidenote: If you are puzzled by all these curry posts, do check out "Singaporean Story about Curry" on what I think about the whole Curry Feud.

1-2 star anise

6 black cardamoms

2 1/2 tsp black peppercorn

10 inch worth of cinnamon sticks

1tbsp cloves

8 green cardamom

1gram mace powder (aka javitri)

4 tbsp coriander seeds

3 tbsp cumin seeds

1/2 tsp nutmeg (grated)

1/2 tsp salt

Heat the saucepan on high heat. Do not add any oil or water. When the saucepan gets hot, put in all the ingredients above. Stir constantly for about 5-8 minutes or until you can smell the fragance. Remove  from heat and wait for it to cool. Grind it up into powder form and use it immediately. Or simply store the powder in airtight containers and put it in the fridge for later use. 

Uses:
- as a marinate for meats and vegetables
- in a gravy/curry
- as a seasoning salt

Best of all, it smells sooo good and I don't have to use too much salt to make anything taste good.

Follow me on twitter: @bentokato

Star Anise

Black and Green Cardamom

Left: Black Peppercorn

Cinnamon Sticks

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving me a comment. It will be appearing shortly.

About Bento Cat

My photo
Amsterdam, Netherlands
I'm Shanna and I enjoy bento making a lot. I'm also a wife, daughter,sister,a full-time student, previous fashion and product designer, nerd and super foodie all rolled into one. With Adventures of Bento Cat, I hope to document the daily happenings of my life through Bentos filled with Tender Loving Care and more! I can be contacted at bentokato@gmail.com
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Creative Commons License
Blog by Shanna at Bentocat.blogspot.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.