Friday, August 12, 2011

Singapore Chicken Curry - part 1 - Cook a pot of Curry Day

This is a recipe I got from one of my friends when I was still living in Singapore.  This certainly falls under the list of soul food for many Singaporeans who are living overseas. Of course, if one gets really desperate, there is always this Prima Deli Singapore Curry pack. BUT!! if its not available, make your own! Its not that difficult actually. Please scroll down :)
Picture credit: http://rockman.com.au
Here goes the recipe that found its way into my collection:

Masala Powder (or Curry Powder if you like) for this dish. This powder recipe yields about 1 1/2 cups.
Ingredients:

2/3 cup coriander seeds
1/2 cup cumin seeds
1/4 cup anise seed
1/4 cup dried chili peppers
1 teaspoon black peppercorns
1 teaspoon cardamom 
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
3 tablespoon tumeric powder
1 whole clove

[Before I begin, please be considerate to your neighbours and switch on the kitchen ventilation!! Otherwise you might just end up like the poor Singaporean family here who got into trouble when their new neighbours from China called in the Singapore authorities. Nowadays this family can cook curry only when his neighbours are not around! If the Singaporean family still continues to cook curry when the neighbours are present, the apartment of the Singaporean family will be confiscated and they will be made homeless in their own country. Crazy, isn't it?]

-Add all the ingredients above and dry-roast them over low heat in a wok. Stir constantly so that the spices do not burn.

-Just as they begin to turn brown and you can smell the fragrance, remove them from the wok. After its cooled, grind them up into till they are about the size of coffee powder. Store this mixture in a airtight container and they should be able to keep for a few months in the fridge.

I will put up part 2 of this recipe in the next post. [just in case you have unexpected visitors knocking on your door by now :D ]

Follow me on Twitter! @bentokato

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving me a comment. It will be appearing shortly.

About Bento Cat

My photo
Amsterdam, Netherlands
I'm Shanna and I enjoy bento making a lot. I'm also a wife, daughter,sister,a full-time student, previous fashion and product designer, nerd and super foodie all rolled into one. With Adventures of Bento Cat, I hope to document the daily happenings of my life through Bentos filled with Tender Loving Care and more! I can be contacted at bentokato@gmail.com
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Creative Commons License
Blog by Shanna at Bentocat.blogspot.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.